Gastric bypass surgery has been performed for more than 50 years and has been positioned as the gold standard in metabolic surgery and for obesity. It is recommended mainly for patients with a metabolic disease associated with obesity: diabetes, high blood pressure or dyslipidemia.
Dr. Jerónimo Monterrubio is a bariatric surgeon in Monterrey. Certified by the Mexican College of Surgery for Obesity and Metabolic Diseases AC (CMCOEM), member of the board of directors of the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES), scientific reviewer of the international Surgical Endoscopy surgery journal.
In addition, it has multiple publications in congresses and international journals on general surgery and bariatric surgery. To learn more about the experience and career of Dr. Jerónimo Monterrubio, click on the following link Who is Dr. Monterrubio?.
About gastric bypass surgery in Monterrey
Click here to see Eva’s “before&after” the surgery:
Gastric bypass Monterrey Mexico
What is gastric bypass?
A gastric bypass is a type of bariatric surgery to lose weight where the stomach and digestive system are modified to limit food intake.
What’s the procedure?
Gastric bypass surgery consists of sectioning the stomach leaving a reservoir of 30 ml providing restriction of food intake. Subsequently, the small intestine is sectioned and rearranged, generating the malabsorption mechanism, which further helps weight loss.
This rearrangement of the small intestine keeps the flow of bile and pancreatic enzymes from food deviating and, therefore, limits digestion and absorption of nutrients, which reduces caloric intake and consequently the weight loss occurs.
Limiting the size of the stomach reduces the amount of food you can eat at the same time and also reduces the amount of ghrelin “the hunger hormone”, present in your stomach. In addition, the first part of the small intestine is overlooked, leading to less absorption of the food you eat. If you happen to eat unhealthy food, such as too much sugar or fatty foods, there is an unpleasant feeling called “dumping syndrome” due to the bypass. As a result, you feel nausea, cramps and diarrhea for about 20 to 30 minutes.
The surgery lasts approximately 130 minutes and is performed under general and laparoscopic anesthesia, that is, through small incisions through the abdomen and a fast recovery.
How is it performed?
Gastric bypass surgery in Monterrey is performed through general anesthesia and laparoscopic, that is, through small incisions through the abdomen and a fast recovery.
Laparoscopic procedures are minimally invasive. This method uses several small incisions, instead of a large incision like in a traditional surgery.
Then, fiber optic video cameras and specialized instruments are used to carry out the procedure through these small incisions. This approach offers many advantages such as:
- Reduced recovery time.
- Less scars.
- Less discomfort or pain.
- Return faster to normal activities.
While cosmetic benefits seem to be the most obvious reason for bariatric surgery such as gastric bypass, the health benefits are actually much more significant. With a series of comorbidities associated with obesity, it is important to understand how bariatric procedures can help you live a full and healthy life.
Some of the benefits of having a gastric bypass surgery done are:
- Patients can lose an average of up to 80 percent of their excess body weight, and the most dramatic weight loss occurs in the first year after surgery.
- The results of gastric bypass are quick and lasting, and have been proven to increase the lifespan of patients by drastically healing or improving diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea and other life-threatening diseases related to obesity such as metabolic syndrome.
- Gastric bypass surgery has a 40-year success story. The procedure has been studied thoroughly and its results are well documented.
Some criteria for patients who are candidates for gastric bypass surgery are:
- Have 45 kilos over your ideal weight.
- Have a mass index (BMI) of 40 or more in patients without co-morbidity or a body mass index of 35 for those with co-morbidities such as diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, severe arthritis related to the weight or severe weight related respiratory disease.
- Age between 20 and 70 years.
FAQs (Frequently asked questions)
What is the cost of gastric bypass in Monterrey?
There are different factors that can determine the cost of a gastric bypass in Monterrey. Some of these factors are:
- Hospital where the gastric bypass procedure is performed in Monterrey.
- Experience and reputation of the surgeon who performs it. Learn about Dr. Jerónimo Monterrubio in the following link Who is Dr. Monterrubio ?.
- Country and in the city that is carried out.
- Package and services they offer that they offer.
So, if you are interested in performing a gastric bypass in Monterrey, it is important to go to an assessment consultation to determine if this is the best option for your case and the cost of it.
Many people know that bariatric surgery, such as bypass surgery is an expensive surgery, but this type of surgery can be financed by a personal credit.
Dr. Jerónimo Monterrubio has direct financing plans in which you can finance up to 100% of the cost or months free of interest partial payments with the participating bank cards.
Dr. Jerónimo Monterrubio R.
- Graduated from the University of Monterrey with the Honorable Mention CUM LAUDE.
- Certified by the Mexican College of Surgery for Obesity and Metabolic Diseases AC.
- Certified by the Mexican Council of General Surgery.
- Member of the CMCOEM board (2017-2019)
- General surgery training, and also basic and advanced laparoscopy at the University of Monterrey-Grupo Christus Muguerza.
- Clerkships and international courses of Minimally Invasive Surgery and Surgery for Obesity at the prestigious Thorton Hospital of the University of California San Diego (UCSD), and at the European Institute of Telesurgery (IRCAD) in Strasbourg, France.
- Adjunct professor of the General Surgery Specialty at the University of Monterrey-Grupo Christus Muguerza.
Learn more about our multidisciplinary team here.
Are you interested in the gastric bypass procedure in Monterrey?
If you want more information about the gastric bypass procedure in Monterrey, call our contact number (81) 22 30 86 04, or make an appointment through our form.
Christus Muguerza Sur Hospital
Address: Carretera Nacional No. 6501. Colonia La Estanzuela. Monterrey, Nuevo León.