Dr. Jerónimo Monterrubio is a bariatric surgeon in Monterrey. Certified by the Mexican College of Surgery for Obesity and Metabolic Diseases AC (CMCOEM), member of the board of directors of the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES), scientific reviewer of the international Surgical Endoscopy surgery journal.
In addition, it has multiple publications in congresses and international journals on general surgery and bariatric surgery. To learn more about the experience and career of Dr. Jerónimo Monterrubio, click on the following link Who is Dr. Monterrubio?.
Click here to see Sofia’s “before&after”:
About gastric balloon procedure in Monterrey
What is a gastric balloon?
The gastric balloon (also called intragastric balloon) is a simple and non-surgical solution for weight loss approved by the FDA.
It consists on inserting a balloon into the stomach through the mouth by endoscopy. Once the balloon is in place, the surgeon inflates it with saline solution to fill up the space in the stomach. The inflated balloon sits on your stomach and makes you feel fuller before.
This is a simple non-surgical outpatient procedure that only takes between 20 and 30 minutes with a mild sedative, and most patients return home the same day. After the procedure, the balloon can remain in place for up to six months. During that time, the program educators will help the patient develop new eating habits that will allow them to maintain a healthier weight more easily once the balloon is removed.
The extraction of the balloon is similar to the placement. It is a 20 to 30 minute procedure with a mild sedative, the saline solution contained in the intragastric balloon will be emptied and the balloon removed through the mouth.
It represents an option for patients who are overweight or obese and who for some reason are not candidates for any surgical procedure.
The gastric balloon can be considered a middle term between medications and surgery. They offer the following advantages:
- Surgery is not required for its placement since it is performed through endoscopy.
- It does not require general anesthesia, it is only placed with intravenous sedation.
- It is ambulatory, its placement does not require hospitalization and the patient usually stays only a few hours in the hospital.
- It is temporary, it does not represent a definitive method and the treatment can last 3, 6 or 12 months depending on the type of ball that is used.
- Less cost
- Available for patients who may not be eligible for weight loss surgery.
Who can be a candidate for a gastric balloon?
To determine if a gastric balloon can be an appropriate part of your weight loss therapy plan, a comprehensive evaluation is performed. This initial evaluation is carried out by a multidisciplinary team that can include a doctor, gastroenterologist, surgeon, among others.
Together with each patient, our team develops a plan of care based on the history and health conditions of each patient, and considers the medical, endoscopic and surgical options as appropriate.
Normally patients with a BMI greater than 30 may be candidates for a gastric balloon in Monterrey. In some cases, they may be appropriate for patients with a BMI as low as 27, and are prepared to make long-term changes in their diet and lifestyle, under supervision and attending regular appointments. You should keep in mind that weight loss with a gastric balloon may be smaller and slower than surgical options to lose weight such as manga gástrica or gastric bypass.
FAQs (Frequently asked questions)
What is the cost of gastric balloon in Monterrey?
There are different factors that can determine the cost of a gastric sleeve in Monterrey. Some of these factors are:
- Hospital where the gastric bypass procedure is performed in Monterrey.
- Experience and reputation of the surgeon who performs it. Learn about Dr. Jerónimo Monterrubio in the following link Who is Dr. Monterrubio?.
- Country and in the city that is carried out.
- Package and services they offer that they offer.
So, if you are interested in performing a gastric balloon in Monterrey, it is important to go to an assessment consultation to determine if this is the best option for your case and the cost of it.
Dr. Jerónimo Monterrubio has direct financing plans in which you can finance up to 100% of the cost or months free of interest partial payments with the participating bank cards.
Does weight lost happens fast with the gastric balloon?
With the placement of the gastric balloon the weight loss is slower than through bariatric surgery.
With the ball could I lead my normal life?
During the first you must avoid strenuous activities, but once your body has become accustomed to the ball you can start your daily activities.
Can I eat whatever I want?
Once you insert your gastric balloon, you should follow a healthy eating plan and perform the exercises recommended by your surgeon. This will ensure that you achieve the best weight loss suitable for you.
How is the ball extracted?
The gastric balloon deflates before being eliminated. Then it is pulled through the mouth with an endoscopic tube. You should keep in mind that when the gastric balloon is removed, your stomach will return to its normal size and shape.
Will I gain weight once the balloon is removed?
Since the balloon does not have lasting effects on the stomach as with bariatric surgery, it is important that you create and maintain a healthy diet and lifestyle. Without the gastric balloon occupying space in your stomach, you can eat larger portions immediately once the balloon has disappeared. The success of the procedure depends on whether the patient can carry out the same habits after removing the balloon.
Dr. Jeronimo Monterrubio R.
- Graduated from the University of Monterrey with the Honorable Mention CUM LAUDE.
- Certified by the Mexican College of Surgery for Obesity and Metabolic Diseases AC.
- Certified by the Mexican Council of General Surgery.
- Member of the CMCOEM board (2017-2019)
- General surgery training, and also basic and advanced laparoscopy at the University of Monterrey-Grupo Christus Muguerza.
- Clerkships and international courses of Minimally Invasive Surgery and Surgery for Obesity at the prestigious Thorton Hospital of the University of California San Diego (UCSD), and at the European Institute of Telesurgery (IRCAD) in Strasbourg, France.
- Adjunct professor of the General Surgery Specialty at the University of Monterrey-Grupo Christus Muguerza.
Learn more about our multidisciplinary team here.
Are you interested in the gastric sleeve procedure in Monterrey?
Christus Muguerza Sur Hospital
Address: Carretera Nacional No. 6501. Colonia La Estanzuela. Monterrey, Nuevo León.